- Discovering my netbook, which has been a bit ropey for a while, is now literally falling apart and intermittently failing.
- Shopping for a new netbook.
- Going to an actual shop to get a new netbook:
- advantage - got it today
- disadvantage - had to deal with multiple salespeople (all men) who patronised me and tried to upsell me on lots of extras I don't want. This is why I like shopping online.
- call me naive but if I reserve a computer online to collect from your Collection Point, I kind of expect it to be there, not to have to wander around the store being handed off between salespeople and patronised etc for a good 15 minutes before getting the computer I wanted.
- Setting up Windows 10, creating a backup drive, and installing Ubuntu
- Restoring all my files from backup onto Ubuntu
- Getting things back the way I like them
Also posted at http://rmc28.dreamwidth.org/632721.html with comments.