Kate suggested the hole might be the rotten remains of a tree stump that had been turfed over. As it happens, my ex-housemate Keith did indeed hack away at a tree stump until it was below-ground and then turfed it over, nearly 8 years ago.
I did a bit of digging this evening and the sinking bit is really only approx 0.5m x 0.5m and looks like rich soil. I chucked half a recycling box of spare soil from the messy end of the garden and stamped it down and it started to feel more solid so that's looking hopeful.
I picked up the Eglu Go last week, and after chatting to the nice woman at Cambridge Poultry, I also ordered a 1m extension to the run. Tony & I assembled the henhouse part and the first bit of the run together that evening. It was fairly straightforward as flatpack goes and we were still talking when it was finished, which is a good sign. (Flatpack assembly is one of those things where we usually don't play well together, because we have very different approaches.) The extension arrived on Thursday but we had family commitments from then until today.
I got an email over the weekend that the hens were ready to collect, so this evening I stopped playing with soil as soon as possible and excitedly finished the run off. Straightforward but a bit tricky alone and I am very
tired of bending the little plastic clips together. Then I ran into a bit of a problem: the very last piece of the run is missing
. And yes, if I had checked all the pieces before we started last Tuesday I'd have known then, and it would have been sorted out by now. Normally I do an inventory check first; perhaps I shall blame getting carried away with Tony's enthusiasm last week.
So I now have a lovely hen house and run with a great big gap easily big enough for a fox. Jonny has seen a fox a couple of times in the garden, so the hens are staying on the farm for now.
I have been considering names for the hens, mostly dignified women's names that are not completely out of fashion. I am trying not to name them after any particularly close friends or family members, or anything too "funny". My plan is to have half a dozen names in mind and then match them to the hens as we get to know them. Charles thinks we should call one of them Toothless
, which would at least be accurate, unlike his other suggestion, Spot.